Coming soon! An E-Book for Caregivers with Special Needs Children
Learn to ADVOCATE, PARENT, AND BUILD STRENGTH in raising your child with special needs
Find your peace of mind as you learn what supports you need in place to guarantee a life of emotional, financial, and physical security for you and your child
Do you worry about:
|· What will happen to my child and will he or she be happy?
· Who will help me with my child and how do I get my friends to understand the stress I’m under?
· How do I get over the loss of the dreams I had for a family?
· How can I tell if my child is acting out because of his disability or because he’s being a kid?
|· How will I support myself when I have to support my child?
· What if my spouse leaves me because of the pressure?
· What school should my child attend and do I have any recourse if my child’s school treats him or her inappropriately?
· What will happen to my child after I die?
You’re not alone. Nearly one-fifth of American families have a member with a disability, either physical, sensory, or intellectual (according to the National Organization on Disability). And many people with disabilities or special needs are outliving their primary caregivers (their parents) because of advancements in medical technology and treatment.
My Training and Credentials
At this juncture, you may be wondering who I am. Beyond having been a journalist, a researcher and a licensed professional counselor, I am also a mother to two children who have had special concerns at various times in their lives.
My youngest son was born with a disability. My older son developed a temporary disability later in his life, which he has overcome. Each of the experiences came with its unique set of challenges and opportunities.
When I first heard the diagnosis for my youngest son, I sat on my bed, called a friend and sobbed to her “I just want my son to be okay.” My friend tried to comfort me as best as she could, but she couldn’t truthfully tell me if my son would be okay. No one could. As his diagnosis began to unfold, I found myself struggling to find help. We lived in a remote New Mexico community and autism resources were only beginning to be offered there.
Consequently, I had many sleepless nights of constant worry, fear, and grief of what the future could hold for my beloved son. Also, I had to completely reorder my life emotionally, spiritually, financially, socially, and professionally because of his special needs and the lack of resources available.
One of my biggest fears, initially, was the fear of the unknown. I had never had an experience as a mother of a child with a disability so I had no idea of what to expect. So, what did I do? I did like any mother who wants what’s best for her child:
- I scoured the Internet,
- Made hundreds of phone calls,
- Took countless trips to professionals, and
- At the end of the day collapsed exhausted and still scared.
No doubt about it, it can be a lonely and stressful experience as a caregiver and our ability to access an in-person support group can be challenging, and in some regions of the United States, nearly impossible.
But you’re not alone. My E-Book, “My Special Needs Child: The Complete Guide to Advocating, Parenting, and Building Strength” will help you address your worries and connect you with the vital resources you need for you to have peace of mind as a parent.
- You’ll learn the subtle shift in thinking that will empower you and your child. It took me nearly a decade to understand and articulate this idea, and I’ll share this with you in my E-Book.
- You will gain insight into how to be a parent and not only a caregiver.
- You will read stories from people who have been where you are now and the successes they have achieved and that you can achieve, too.
- You will learn how to overcome your reticence in speaking up for your child and yourself. This book will help you trust your intuition when opinions differ with professionals.
- You will learn effective advocacy skills to help you and your child meet your needs to ensure the best outcome. You will learn the critical skills to advocate at the local level all the way to the federal level.
- If you are worried about having enough money or how your career will be affected by your caregiving role, this E-Book will share about financial tools you can leverage for economic peace of mind.
Life can have many sudden twists and turns. Whether through an accident or the aging process, at some point every human being will experience either a temporary disability or a disability that becomes permanent. You will gain understanding how disability affects a person in different ways across the lifespan.
It’s not always easy to raise a child with disabilities. There is even a time of grieving as a diagnosis comes to light. But it can be a fulfilling and a profoundly positive life-changing experience in a way you never would have planned for yourself. In this E-Book you will learn how to transform what looks like a loss into a positive experience which will ripple throughout all your relationships.
If you are worried or struggling with knowing what to do or who to turn to for help for your child with a disability, then this e-book is for you. You will save countless hours of worry and research. You will find your way through the maze of programs, professionals’ opinions, and life’s challenges. You will find new meaning and purpose in life and release your fear and anxiety.
Please fill out my contact form below to let me know of your interest in this e-book. I am here to help.
© 2018 Brenda Henning